Wally’s Carpets and Tile flooring store has a great inspiring business story beginning in the 50’s with true hometown values. Wally’s was started by Wally and Brenda Johnson in downtown San Bernardino in 1954; then, in the 1960s, moved to the property next door to where Wally’s was located until 2017. In 1982, Wally’s was purchased by Gene and Linda Gleason who had worked with Wally’s as an installer and contractor for over 20 years. Gene Gleason is a San Bernardino native who graduated from Pacific High School.
Chris Rogers and Robert Foster, who worked with the Gleason’s since the 90’s, bought Wally’s from them in 2011. They said working with the Gleason’s and their generosity in trusting their business to them is an important part of their running of the business as they try to hold up to the Gleason’s standards.
“It helps to have a store that was so well run by Gene and Linda Gleason and Wally before them. One of the most amazing things we have figured out since we have been here is that Wally, Gene and Linda were good people and loved their community. They left some big shoes to fill and they treated everybody very well and very honest. We promised to continue with the values they started.”
Since then the company has been thriving and they opened another location. The original building was sold, and they moved to 909 S. Arrowhead Ave. in San Bernardino. Wally’s opened its next location in October of 2014 at 33328 Calimesa Blvd in Yucaipa CA. They continue to grow and hope the late Wally Johnson would be proud to see that his name and company continues just like it was in 1954.